U.S. PRESERVATION in the GLOBAL CONTEXT
The US/ICOMOS 2000 International Symposium
6-9 April 2000 Indianapolis, Indiana
Greetings. Robert Wilburn, US/ICOMOS Chairman
Welcome to Indiana
Need and Benefits of International Cooperation: The U.S. View from the Top. Kate Stevenson, Associate Director for Cultural Resources Stewardship and Partnership, National Park Service.
Session 1. THE INTERNATIONAL PRESERVATION UMBRELLA.
Moderator: Ann Webster Smith, US/ICOMOS Chairman Emeritus.
- Preserving the Shared Heritage of Humanity: World Heritage Policy and Criteria regarding Significance and Protection. Henry Cleere, ICOMOS World Heritage Coordinator, Paris.
- The United States and the World Heritage Convention. James Charleton, Office of International Affairs, National Park Service.
- World Heritage, Historic Cities and National Pride: the Meaning and Value of World Heritage Listing to Local Communities. Denis Grandjean, Section Française de l'ICOMOS, Deputy Mayor of the World Heritage City of Nancy, and Director of the School of Architecture of Nancy.
- The View from Indiana. Jane Blaffer Owen, New Harmony, Indiana (not available at this time).
Session 2. NATIONAL PRESERVATION STRUCTURES.
Moderator: Richard Pieper, US/ICOMOS Vice- Chairman.
- The German National Experience. Michael Petzet, President of ICOMOS and ICOMOS Deutschen Nationalkomitees.
- The Cuban National Experience. Isabel Rigol, President ICOMOS Cuba and Universidad Politécnica José Antonio Echeverría, Havana.
- The Australian National Experience. Ray Tonkin, Heritage Victoria, Melbourne and Australia ICOMOS.
- The U.S. National Experience. James Glass, Ball State University.
Session 3. THE LOCAL RESPONSE.
Moderator: Troy Thompson, US/ICOMOS Trustee.
- The Local Experience in Bavaria, Germany. Ursula Mandel, Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege, Munich, and ICOMOS Deutschen Nationalkomitees.
- The Local Experience in Cienfuegos, Cuba. Iran Millán, Conservator of the City of Cienfuegos, ICOMOS-Cuba.
- The Local Experience in New South Wales, Australia. Sheridan Burke, NSW Heritage Council, Australia ICOMOS, Sydney.
- The Local Experience in Indiana, USA. Randall T Sheppard, Chief Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court (not available at this time).
Session 4. PANEL DISCUSSION OF THE FINDINGS.
Moderator: Stephen J Kelley, US/ICOMOS Program Committee Chair.
Discussants: John Fowler, past US/ICOMOS Chairman, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation; David Lowenthal (invited), Preservation author. David Woodcock, Association for Preservation Technology and Texas A&M University; Kirstin Sechler, World Monuments Fund; Reed Williams, Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana; Jon Smith, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology of Indiana.