US/ICOMOS is currently staffing six Knowledge Communities: Climate Change and Heritage, Cultural Landscape Practice, Help Diverse American Communities Tell Their Stories, Heritage as Pillar of Sustainable Development, Heritage in Times of Conflict and Disaster, and World Heritage Management.
Each KC offers interested parties the option to join that KC by subscribing to a stream of heritage content from the KC. This subscription option is open to all those interested in the KC’s subject matter, including US/ICOMOS members, policy makers, practitioners and other interested parties. This free subscription service is managed by US/ICOMOS and is meant to advance understanding of issues related to cultural heritage. Joining a KC offers subscribers an opportunity to be notified periodically when new content is posted to the Knowledge Communities to which they have subscribed.
KC postings concentrate on the work of major international, inter-governmental, and multilateral actors involved in advancing the understanding and protection of heritage across the Globe including UNESCO, ICCROM, ICOMOS Scientific Committees (IFLA, etc.) and Europa Nostra. We also cover universities, ICOMOS National Committee, and national, state and local preservation organizations and organizations as well as the work of organizations from allied fields like the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, ICOM, Agenda21Culture, World Bank and IUCN.
Examples of types of information reported include the following:
- Reports from and summaries of conferences, symposia, lectures and other events held across the globe.
- Analysis of news reports, policy debates and legal actions.
- Descriptions of best practices, case studies and success stories.
- Synopses of scholarly articles, publications and book releases.
- Guest articles written by key high-level officials, written specifically for US/ICOMOS KnowledgeExchange.
- Periodic policy or state-of-the-scholarship blogs written by our team.
US/ICOMOS welcomes submissions from others of content to be posted on its KCs. KCs are moderated by US/ICOMOS and only announcements that satisfy the following guidelines will be posted and distributed to subscribers:
- All postings should be announcements appropriate for an international audience that have a connection to heritage policy and/or practice relevant to the scope of the given KC, such as new publications, best practices or research results, announcements or outcomes of meetings or sessions/side events, and relevant job vacancies, publications and online resources;
- No press releases or postings that are commercial in nature, personal statements, news stories, polemic statements or postings intended to create discussion will be cleared for distribution to the list;
- Postings should include the internet address for large documents (URLs) rather than including attached files. If possible, do not send file attachments. If you must attach a file, small PDF files under 200 kb are always recommended. Any message larger than 500kb is rejected by our software.
In addition, please note that each US/ICOMOS KC also includes an International Events Calendar. US/ICOMOS also welcomes calendar item submissions. Calendar postings appear on the relevant KC events calendar but are not included in content streamed to KC subscribers.
To propose an item to be posted to a KC or listed on a KC Events Calendar, send the proposed content to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each KC home page contains a spot where you may “Join that Knowledge Community.” To subscribe to any KC, enter your email address on the home page of the KC you would like to join. You may subscribe to as many KCs as you like. Once you sign up on the KC home page, a confirmation email will be sent to the e-mail address you supply. When you receive that e-mail message, simply click on the link it contains to confirm your subscription.
Upon confirming your subscription, you will also have the option to manage your subscriptions preferences. This includes selecting daily or weekly frequency. If you select daily frequency, you will receive one email at the end of each day upon which content was added to the KCs to which you have subscribed, letting you know what content was added. If you select weekly, you will receive one email at the end of each week in which content was added to the KCs to which you have subscribed.
To unsubscribe from any list, there is an unsubscribe link available at the bottom of every message posted to any list.
If you require Technical Support, please contact email@example.com.